Experienced Premises Liability Attorney Secures Compensation for Accident Victims in NY & NJ
Anytime you visit another person’s property, you expect that the property owner will have done what is necessary to ensure your safety. Unfortunately, sometimes a property owner acts negligently when they fail to inspect their premises for potential safety hazards or they are aware of a dangerous situation and fail to fix it or alert visitors about it. The result of this negligence can be significant injuries, expensive medical bills and a lifetime of physical pain and suffering.
If you have sustained injuries because of a slip & fall accident on someone else’s property, you deserve justice and Compensation. You should not have to foot the bill for medical costs incurred as a result of another person’s negligence. Moreover, the negligent property owner needs to be held accountable so that they take the steps required to protect future visitors against similar injuries.
The best way to get the Compensation you deserve and ensure that the negligent property owner fixes the defect on their premises is to secure the services of a qualified, competent trial attorney who understands premises liability law in New Jersey and New York. Andrew Calcagno is an aggressive personal injury attorney who will fight on your behalf both in and out of the courtroom. Mr. Calcagno knows what it takes to win your case because he has successfully represented countless clients – winning millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts in cases throughout Union County and Middlesex County, including Cranford, Linden and Mountainside. Mr. Calcagno has also handled premises liability claims throughout NY’s five boroughs.
What is Premises Liability Law?
Premises liability law covers many different types of accidents and resulting injuries. These claims are often extremely complex and involve multiple litigants. An experienced, aggressive attorney can help you determine the complete list of individuals who might be legally responsible for your injuries and subsequent medical bills. For example, it’s possible that you may need to file a personal injury claim against a homeowner, business owner, landlord, subcontractor or even government entity, depending on where and when your accident occurred.
New Jersey premises liability law imposes a general duty on property owners to keep site visitors free from harm. Although a property owner is not required to guarantee the safety of visitors, they must take reasonable steps to ensure that visitors are safe.
Property owners have a duty to maintain property:
All property owners in NJ and NY have a legal responsibility to maintain their premises. This means that the property owner must identify, and remove, any unsafe conditions that exist on the premises. If the property owner fails to do this, they can be held liable for injuries sustained on the property. A property that is in disrepair or otherwise poorly maintained is a major liability issue. Moreover, liability may extend beyond the property itself to the surrounding sidewalks or walkways.
Property owners have a duty to warn of dangers on the premises:
If the property owner fails to remove an unsafe condition, they have a legal duty to warn visitors of the danger. This is why property owners sometimes post signs that advise of dangerous conditions on their premises. A common caution sign would be one that alerts visitors about a wet floor in a bathroom or entry way of a public building. Failure to alert visitors to the potential danger creates a major liability issue.
One possible exception to the legal duty to warn visitors is when the danger is “open and obvious.” This means that the danger was so clear and apparent that a warning was not necessary. Keep in mind that this is a legal issue that should be determined by an experienced lawyer, not by the property owner or the injured party. Mr. Calcagno will review your case and devise a strategy that will yield maximum Compensation for you.
Most Common Types of Accidents in Union County, NJ Premises Liability Cases
Some of most common hazardous conditions that give rise to premises liability claims in NJ and NY include:
- Slip and fall accidents: The most common types of accidents that occur in premises liability cases are slip & falls and trip & falls. Whether a sidewalk or walkway was covered in snow, ice or water, a visitor who sustains a slip & fall injury because of the slippery surface may have a viable premises liability claim.
- Construction site accidents: Construction sites are extremely dangerous and can result in catastrophic injuries.
- Insufficient lighting: If a stairwell, parking lot or other area is poorly lit, a serious trip and fall accident becomes more likely.
- Uneven walkways: Property owners must take care to fix cracked or broken sidewalks so that visitors do not suffer trip & fall accidents.
- Workplace injuries: Depending on the circumstances of the work-related accident, the injured person may have a valid premises liability claim or Workers’ Compensation claim.
- Falling objects: Owners and operators of retail stores should take steps to protect customers against store merchandise that falls from shelves.
- Inadequate security: Property owners and site operators have a legal duty to protect visitors against violent attacks, assaults, robberies and other criminal activity.
- Dog bites: Dog owners need to confine their dogs with a fence or leash so that passersby are not attacked and seriously injured.
The nature of your accident and the severity of your injuries will likely affect the amount of damages you can seek in a premises liability claim. In any case, however, you should make sure you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help guide you through the complicated legal process. Whether you sustained broken bones, muscle strains, nerve and tissue damage, a traumatic injury such as brain damage or spinal cord damage, or permanent disability, you need to have qualified legal counsel on your side. If a loved one has suffered a wrongful death in an accident, you can rely on Mr. Calcagno for compassionate, yet aggressive, representation.
Call an Experienced Premises Liability Lawyer Today to Discuss Compensation for Your Accident-Related Injuries in Cranford, Woodbridge or Elizabeth
It is not easy to win a premises liability claim in New Jersey or New York. That’s because the deck is often stacked against the injured party and in favor of the powerful insurance company representing the property owner. You need to hire an aggressive premises liability lawyer who will fight to protect your rights and secure maximum Compensation for you and your family.
Mr. Calcagno takes premises liability and personal injury cases on contingency. If he doesn’t win damages for you, you won’t pay a dime. Further, there are no upfront costs and the consultation is free, as well.
Andrew Calcagno is an aggressive attorney who knows how to win premises liability cases because he routinely handles these cases in Union, Middlesex, Essex, Hudson, Monmouth, Morris and Somerset counties. He has secured millions of dollars for clients throughout NJ and NY. From the moment you contact Mr. Calcagno, he will:
- Investigate the circumstances of your accident
- Consult with safety experts and engineers
- Inspect the property and possibly work with accident reconstruction specialists to get further information
- Speak with medical professionals to determine the severity of your physical injuries
- Discuss the case with economic experts to determine the financial consequences of your injuries
Mr. Calcagno will also provide you with the personal attention you deserve. You can reach Mr. Calcagno day or night to discuss your case over the phone, or you can schedule a free consultation at his office in Cranford, New Jersey. There are no upfront legal costs and all personal injury cases are taken on contingency. You don’t pay unless we will damages for you.