Experienced Construction Accident Lawyer Helps You Get Compensated for Serious Work-Related Injuries in Linden, Elizabeth and Rahway, NJ
Construction workers perform some of society’s most important, and most dangerous, tasks. Anyone who works from elevated heights, on highways or with heavy machinery is at risk of suffering a serious injury. Whether they are putting up roads, erecting buildings or performing other important jobs, construction workers deserve to feel safe and free from harm. Unfortunately, there are times when safety precautions won’t protect a construction worker if their employer has placed dollars ahead of worker safety. When a construction site operator ignores safety standards and fails to take the necessary precautions against work-related accidents, a catastrophic construction accident becomes more likely.
If you have sustained a serious injury as a result of a construction site accident, you need to contact a skilled and aggressive lawyer right away. Andrew Calcagno is an experienced NJ & NY personal injury and Workers’ Compensation attorney who will fight for you throughout the legal process. Mr. Calcagno has successfully represented injured workers throughout Union County and Middlesex County, New Jersey, including Cranford, New Providence and Plainfield, as well as throughout New York’s five boroughs.
Liability for Construction Accident Injuries in New Jersey and New York
Negligent individuals and companies need to be held accountable for careless behavior that causes accidents on a construction site; this is the only way they will change their behavior going forward. Workers’ Compensation will cover medical treatment and lost wages. However, if your employer or its insurance carrier is fighting your claim, you will need an experienced Workers’ Comp lawyer on your side.
Further, if your construction site injury was caused by a third party – a subcontractor or the manufacturer of faulty equipment, for example – you need an aggressive attorney who will fight for maximum Compensation for you in a Third Party Claim. Mr. Calcagno has won millions of dollars for clients at settlement and trial.
Several different parties can potentially be held liable for your injuries, depending on the circumstances of your construction site accident. A aggressive construction accident attorney can help to identify all of the legally responsible individuals and companies so you can get Compensation from the proper parties.
It is also important for you to speak with a qualified attorney because the legal process in New Jersey is highly complex. Under NJ law, construction accident victims who intend to file a third party claim for damages must prove that the liable party failed to take reasonable steps to protect against injury. Meeting this “reasonable person standard” in a court of law is often difficult and requires a great deal of legal expertise and experience.
Beyond that, NJ law imposes strict filing deadlines (statutes of limitations) in personal injury cases; in most cases, you will have just two years from the date of the construction accident to file a claim. An attorney who understands the legal process can make sure you meet all filing deadlines and do not lose your legal right to seek damages. This is crucial because you do not want to be barred from seeking Compensation to cover medical bills, future medical care or lost wages if your injuries prevent you from returning to work for any period of time.
Causes of Construction Accident Injuries in Union and Middlesex Counties
Construction sites are incredibly dangerous, which means that there can be any number of causes of a construction accident injury. Some of the most common causes of construction accidents in New Jersey include:
- Falls from roofs: Construction workers perform tasks on roofs and often suffer serious injuries when they fall from these great heights.
- Unguarded scaffolding: It is imperative that construction site operators provide guards on scaffolding so that workers do not fall from high altitudes and suffer traumatic injuries.
- Ladder collapse: When a construction worker falls from a ladder, both the worker and anyone standing beneath the ladder are at risk of serious injury.
- Falling objects: Since construction workers often work at great heights, precautions need to be taken to ensure that tools and other objects do not fall to the ground and injure workers or anyone passing by the construction site.
- Malfunctioning machinery: When the equipment or machinery used at a construction site malfunctions, the results are often catastrophic. Any defective products or machinery at a construction site could give rise to a product liability claim.
- Electrocution: If the construction site has live wires or other electrical equipment, workers may be exposed to possible electrocution or chemical burns.
- Site debris: Construction sites are often littered with debris, such as work equipment, that can pose serious risks to workers and passersby.
- Toxic chemicals: Prolonged exposure to toxic chemicals or fumes at a construction site can lead to serious illnesses.
- Inadequate training: Employees who are improperly trained in how to handle heavy equipment or machinery may be at great risk of causing an accident that leads to serious injuries.
Free Consultation with an Aggressive Construction Accident Attorney in Cranford, Elizabeth and Rahway
Do not make the mistake of signing a document provided by your employer until you have first had a chance to discuss your case with a qualified attorney. Andrew Calcagno is an experienced personal injury and Workers’ Compensation attorney who can examine the details of your case and make sure that you do not sign away your rights. Mr. Calcagno will also make sure you file all necessary documentation in a timely fashion so that you preserve your legal rights and get needed financial Compensation as quickly as possible.
Mr. Calcagno understands how this area of the law works because he routinely represents injured workers throughout New Jersey, including Union, Middlesex, Essex, Hudson, Monmouth, Morris and Somerset counties. You can call Mr. Calcagno anytime to discuss your case or schedule a free consultation at his Cranford, NJ office. All Workers’ Compensation and personal injury cases are taken on contingency. If we don’t win damages for you, you don’t pay a dime.