Representing Victims of the Medical Device IVC Filter for Serious Side Effects
IVC filters are medical devices which were designed to prevent blood clots. They are implanted to stop blood clots from traveling throughout the body and to prevent strokes. The filters were designed to be placed in the human body for only a limited period of time, however, many are implanted in emergency rooms and the surgeons will not see their patients again, increasing the likelihood that an IVC filter will remain in place for too long. This is dangerous because the likelihood of splintering increases the longer the device remains in the body. Additionally, the filters can only be removed successfully in about half of cases. Many people have suffered through multiple surgeries to correct problems with this device.
If you or a loved one has suffered from side effects due to the use of an IVC Filter, you should contact The Law Offices of Calcagno & Associates today to find out how we can help you collect monetary compensation for your pain and suffering.
Potential IVC Filter Complications
An IVC filter is a device that is implanted in the large vein in the abdomen in people who are at risk of developing blood clots or have been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis. The IVC filter is implanted to catch blood clots that have broken up and are traveling in the bloodstream before they reach the heart or lungs and potentially lead to serious complications. Due to hundreds of reports of unwanted side effects and complications, the FDA has recommended that doctors remove the IVC filter once the threat of blood clots has disappeared.
Common IVC Filter Devices Include:
- ALN Implants Recoverable ALN filter
- Angiotech Option Vena Cava Filter
- B. Braun Venatech Filters
- Boston Scientific Greenfield Filter
- Bard IVC Filters, including the Bard Recovery filter, Bard G2 filter, Simon Nitinol Filter, and the Bard G2 Express filter
- Cook Medical Celect Vena Cava Filter
- Cook Medical Gunther Tulip Filter
- Cordis Johnson & Johnson TrapEase and Optease
- Crux Biomedical Vena Cava Filter
- Gianturco-Roehm Bird’s Nest Vena Cava Filter
- Gunther Basket Filter
- Rafael Medical Technologies SafeFlo Vena Cava Filter
- Recovery Nitinol Filter
When you’ve been injured by unsafe drugs or products, it’s time to turn to Calcagno & Associates for help. We handle cases throughout New Jersey, and we will fight to get the compensation you need for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Plus, you will never pay us unless we win your case. Contact The Law Offices of Calcagno & Associates today.
IVC Filter Side Effects
If you or a loved one has experienced any of the following complications due to an IVC filter, please contact us today:
- Detached device components (called embolization)
- Filter migration (movement)
- Filter Fracture (broken/damaged)
- Filter perforation of the inferior vena cava heart, lungs, and/or other organs
- Blood clots clogging the filter
- Compromised respiration
- Device erosion
- Permanent implantation where the device cannot be removed
- The inability to retrieve the IVC Filter
- Tilting of the IVC Filter
Calcagno & Associates Are Experienced IVC Filter Lawyers
At Calcagno & Associates we have years of experience handling medical device litigation. We have the years of experience and specialized knowledge required to fight for your rights. If you or someone you know may have developed complications due to an IVC filter, please contact our offices at for a free case evaluation.