Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Defend Victims of Essure
Have You Suffered Adverse Side Effects After Receiving The Permanent Birth Control Device Essure? Contact Us Today To Assess Your Potential Financial Compensation!
Women who underwent the Essure procedure and experienced health complications have the right to take legal action against the manufacturer of Essure. Hundreds of lawsuits have already been filed against Bayer (the manufacturer) by women who have suffered severe damages when the birth control device moved and punctured the uterus and fallopian tubes. Other women have reported painful side-effects so severe that they required invasive surgery to remove the implanted device, while others had to have a hysterectomy as their only option of relief. Attorneys state that if doctors and patients had known the risks, women might have chosen a different form of birth control, such as birth control pills or tubal ligation.
If you or someone you know has received the permanent birth control device Essure and has suffered adverse side effects, contact the experienced attorney Calcagno & Associates as soon as possible for your free consultation to find out how we can help you collect compensation.
Adverse Events Associated with the Medical Device Essure
Essure is a permanent, non-surgical birth control device for women developed by Conceptus Inc., a company owned by Bayer. During the implant procedure flexible coils are inserted through the vagina and cervix and into the fallopian tubes. The Essure device consists of a metal stainless steel inner coil and a titanium outer coil that allows the surrounding tissue to adhere to the device, creating scar tissue to block sperm from reaching the female reproductive eggs.
Some doctors have reported various adverse events associated with the Essure device, which include:
- Device incompatibility, such as possible nickel allergy
- Device operating inefficiently
- Malposition of device
- Coils breaking off of the device
- Coils migrating from the fallopian tube
- Coils puncturing the fallopian tube
Reports have indicated that the device can expelled into the body, causing it to migrate to other places through the fallopian tubes and into the lower abdomen, wherein the device may disappear altogether. Scanning methods show that the device becomes undetectable if this occurs. If the Essure implant separates, breaks and/or moves, attempted removal often requires multiple surgeries, sometimes requiring removal of the uterus entirely.
If you or a loved one underwent permanent birth control using the Essure procedure and experienced one or more of these side effects, please contact Calcagno & Associates today as you may be entitled to financial compensation.
Essure Side Effects
According to the Food and Drug Administration, the short-term risks from Essure include mild to moderate pain, cramping, vaginal bleeding, and pelvic or back discomfort.
Other serious side effects of the device may include:
- Excessive Bleeding
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Autoimmune disease
- Other additional surgeries to remove the device and repair internal organs
- Unintended pregnancy, including ectopic pregnancy (life threatening)
- Rash and itching associated with allergic reaction to the device
- Tearing or Perforation (puncturing) of the uterus, pelvic organs, fallopian tubes or colon
If you or a loved one has suffered from any of the symptoms associated with Essure, you should contact the law offices of Calcagno & Associates today to find out how we can help you claim the compensation you deserve.
Lawsuits Filed Against Bayer Claiming Several Legal Actions Including:
- Essure is defective and unreasonably dangerous
- Bayer failed to comply with federal safety laws
- Bayer concealed evidence of the dangers of Essure from the government and the public, and misrepresented the safety of the drug in its marketing material
- Bayer was negligent in the manufacturing of Essure
- Bayer failed to properly test Essure, and failed to warn doctors and patients of the potential risks of the device moving and injuring the uterus and fallopian tubes
- Plaintiffs would not have used Essure had they been properly warned about its side effects
What Does This Mean for You?
You may be legally entitled to compensation if you received an Essure implant and experienced adverse side-effects. The experienced attorneys at Calcagno & Associates are investigating the risks of Essure. If you or a loved one suffered complications after receiving an Essure implant, please contact us for a free confidential evaluation of your potential claim.